Bosch JS470EB Barrel-Grip Jigsaw Review
Written by Todd Fratzel.
7.0A Barrel-Grip Jigsaw
A new line of Bosch jigsaws including the JS470EB Barrel-Grip Jigsaw were recently introduced and we were lucky enough to test one out. I’ve been a HUGE fan of Bosch jigsaws for years so when they sent the new JS470EB I was really excited.
Bosch JS470EB Features
- Toolless Blade-Change System – Fast insertion, blade ejection lever eliminates need to touch hot blade. Most secure jigsaw clamping system.
- Ergonomic body with upfront softgrip area for maximum comfort and control.
- Variable speed – Dial sets operating speed.
- Large, sturdy die-cast foot with steel insert and on-board bevel wrench.
- Powerful 7.0-Amp Jigsaw – Top jigsaw amp rating.
- Exclusive multi-directional blade clamp provides superior grip of T-shank blades.
- Internal Precision Control – Precision-machined plunging system and low-vibration design for enhanced accuracy and extremely smooth operation.
- Constant Response™ circuitry – Maintains desired speed for consistent performance and precision.
- Four orbital-action settings -Different blade strokes for smooth to aggressive cuts.
- Adjustable dust blower keeps cutting line clear.
- Kit includes: Non-Marring Overshoe, Anti-Splinter Insert, Blade, Bevel Wrench, Carrying Case
- Amperage: 7.0
- Bevel Angle Range: 45°
- Category: Jig Saws
- Country of Origin: Switzerland
- Cutting Capacity- Soft Wood: 5-7/8″
- Cutting Capacity-Aluminum: 7/8″
- Cutting Capacity-Mild Steel: 3/8″
- Hertz: 60 Hz
- Max. Bevel Cut: 45°
- No Load SPM: 500-3,100
- Rating: 120V
- Stroke Length: 1″
- Weight (lbs.): 5.90
If you’ve never used a barrel-grip jigsaw then I highly recommend you give one a try. Several years ago a seasoned older carpenter turned me onto barrel-grip jigsaws and I’ve never looked back. The control and accuracy of these type of jigsaws is far superior to top-handle models.
Right out of the box the JS470EB was very impressive. It sports a 7.0 amp motor which leads most all other offerings on the market. Power might not seem all that important for jigsaws but my experience shows that power is very important when it comes to control and smooth cuts.
Most of the important controls for the JS470EB are located on the left side of the front housing. The three controls located at this location include; on-off switch, orbital-action dial and the adjustable dust blower control. All three controls are easy to use and well placed.
The adjustable dust blower worked exceptionally well. This was a pleasant surprise as must dust blowers do little more than swirl the dust around. This one easily keep the work area clear and much more visible.
The other control is located at the rear of the barrel-grip. The variable speed control for the motor is a simple dial. While I have no complaint about the control I would prefer seeing it located up on the front of the tool near the on-off switch so that it can be controlled during operation. It would be really nice to be able to control motor speed during operation similar to a top-handle model. With the dial in it’s current location you must stop cutting first and then make the adjustment.
Another simple yet great idea is the Anti-Splinter insert picture in the adjacent photo. We did some quick tests with this new feature and it seemed to work pretty well. This combined with the correct blade for the material should be a great combination.
Lastly the cord on the JS470EB is about 10 feet long! Now that’s something EVERY power tool should be doing. When you consider that most power tools end up being connected to an extension cord even in the shop it seems like a longer cord would be beneficial. Well I was more than excited to see this long cord which ultimately means no extension cord needed in my shop!
The JS470EB comes with the plastic case featured above (top case with red clasps). Bosch did something inside this new case that I wish all my power tools had. They created a great little storage compartment inside the case where you can store blades, the anti-splinter insert and other small tools. This is such a great idea and long over due with tool cases.
If I had one small (very small) complaint it would be the case clasps (red). If you look at the photo above you’ll see the case for my 18V Bosch Impact Driver that uses nice metal clasps. I was sorry to see the JS470EB case with the cheaper plastic ones. Again, small complaint and not a major issue.
It’s hard to wonder how Bosch was going to improve upon their older jigsaw designs but they did it. To say I’m impressed with this tool is probably an understatement. I’ve been saying for years that Bosch makes one of the best quality, best performing jigsaws on the market and the JS470EB lives up to that statement in a big way.
If you’re looking for a new jigsaw then this one should be at the top of your list. I’ve you’ve never used a barrel-grip jigsaw I recommend you test one out before buying. Trust me when I say you’ll be glad you did.
Where To Buy
The JS470EB is already available at authorized Bosch Dealers. You can also buy it online at:
- Amazon – $154.99 and FREE shipping: Bosch JS470EB 7.0-Amp Barrel-Grip Jigsaw
Leave a comment if you think your Facebook Friends would find this article useful. Thanks in advance!