It seems our house has been overrun with fruit flies this fall with all the garden vegetables fruit in the house. So we built a DIY fruit fly trap to try and reduce the “herd”. My wife read about making a fruit fly trap from a water bottle so we gave it a try.
DIY Fruit Fly Trap
Here’s what you need to do to build your own DIY Fruit Fly Trap:
1. You’ll need a plastic water, soda or juice bottle. I like the clear plastic so I can see if we’ve got any flies.
2. Cut off the top 1/4 of the plastic bottle and keep the two pieces. Make sure you remove the cap before you go any further (I forgot to and had to take the thing apart to remove the cap).
3. Turn the upper 1/4 with the neck down into the lower remaining section (see the photo).
4. Tape the two pieces together so that you have a tight seal.
5. Pour in some apple juice, apple cider vinegar or some wine (red wine seems to work best for us).
Where To Place Fruit Fly Trap
Just place your DIY fruit fly trap in a place that seems to have lots of fruit flies and wait for the results. As you can see in the photo we’ve caught quite a few fruit flies in our DIY fruit fly trap.
I must say I was really skeptical when my wife told me about this fruit fly trap but it’s working really well. So if you have been overrun with fruit flies give this simple DIY fruit fly trap a try. It virtually costs nothing to make and your kids might enjoy this simple project.
Do you have a remedy for fruit flies? Have you ever tried this approach?