Leviton USB Charger / Outlet Review – Model T5630
Written by Todd Fratzel.
USB Outlets Now Standard Equipment For Homes Small and Large
Today almost every household has a combination of mobile devices that feature power chords that derive their power from USB ports connected to computers and other electronic equipment. In our household there are multiple phones to charge, several iPad’s, and even an occasional rechargeable battery pack.
The real problem with the USB chargers is the size of the transformer on the end of the chord that reduces the voltage for the phones. Combine that with the fact that many people have more than one device that they charge on a daily basis and you quickly grow a “farm” of chords and transformers plugged to your wall.
So now there’s a really cool solution and it’s fairly inexpensive and very easy to use.
Leviton USB Charger / Outlets
Leviton is selling a few products that can really help out in the USB charging arena. They recently sent me one of their USB Charger/Outlets to try and their Mobile Device Station.
Warning: Working with electricity can cause serious injury or death. If you’re not familiar with electrical work please consult a licensed electrician.
- Turn off power to the circuit that will be worked on.
- Remove the old receptacle and straighten out all the wires.
- Install the new Leviton USB Charger/Tamper Resistant Outlet. Be sure to install the black wires to the black terminals and the white wires to the white terminals and also the ground wire to the grounding screw.
- If you also purchase the Mobile Device Station then install it to a double gang outlet cover with the included screws.
- Install the double gang cover plate to the single outlet box.
- Turn the circuit breaker back on.
The Mobile Device Station basically widens the existing single outlet and allows you to install their phone holder. The holder can hold a SmartPhone while it’s charging. This definitely clears up some desk space.
More Space, Charge 2 Devices and Still Have A Power Receptacle Available
As you can see in the adjacent photo, I now have a phone charging on the wall braket, an iPad plugged in and still one outlet available for any desk devices that may need power. No special chords needed, no special adapters just an all new outlet with an excellent feature.
I’m very impressed with these new charger/outlets. I’ll be placing several of them around the house to take the brunt of our charging needs. Priced at $20 they will likely sell very well!
The Mobile Device Station is also a neat idea but it’s not as crucial. Priced around $11 this too is a good value.
If you’d like to buy these you can online at several stores including the links below to Amazon:
- Leviton T5630-W 15-Amp 125-Volt 2.1-Amp USB Charger/Tamper-Resistant Receptacle, White
- Leviton 47112-W Decora Mobile Device Station, White
Leave a comment if you think your Facebook Friends would find this article useful. Thanks in advance!