Kenmore Elite Water Filter Replacement
The other day I posted about buying replacement refrigerator water filters for our Kenmore Elite Refrigerator. In this post I want to show you how easy it is to replace your refrigerator water filter (quite a few refrigerators now use these water filters that are located on the bottom front panel of the unit).
How To Replace Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter
- Take the new water filter out of the box and remove the two red shipping caps on the end of the filter.
- The water filter is located on the front panel down near the floor as shown in the photos.
- Push the release button located just to the left of the water filter grille cap, this will release the filter.
- Remove the grille cap from the filter by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Reinstall the grille cap on the new water filter.
- Insert the new water filter in the refrigerator making sure the words on the filter are the correct side up.
- Push the water filter in until it clicks in place.
Flush Water After Installing New Filter
Be sure you flush out the water from the new filter after you replace it! Many readers are having trouble with airlocks because they are skipping this important step. Kenmore recommends you run the water out of the water and ice maker for a few minutes to flush out the new filter. This also helps remove air bubbles from the system. If you don’t do this it’s possible that the water dispenser may not work properly due to an air lock.
This particular water filter claims to reduce:
- Cysts and turbidity – linked to gastrointestinal problems
- Chlorine – taste and odor for better tasting water
- Sediment – for clearer water
- o-Dichlorobenzene – linked to risk of liver, kidney, or circulatory system problems
- Benzene – linked to increase risk of cancer and anemia
I highly doubt any of our town water really has a problem with these issues. However, the water certainly tastes better after it’s filtered so we’ll continue changing the filter on a regular basis.