Vinyl Beadboard Soffit for Porch Ceilings
Written by Todd Fratzel.
This article has been updated with additional photos and details at the request of readers.
Vinyl Beadboard Porch Ceiling
Our new home has almost all vinyl products on the outside of it. We have vinyl windows, siding, trim, shutters, porch posts, railing, vented soffit, solid soffit and beadboard soffit. Vinyl siding products can actually look very good and be hard for a passer by to tell that it’s not traditional siding. One of the products that we used in our new home was vinyl beadboard soffit for the farmers porch ceiling.
There are several manufacturers of vinyl beadboard soffit material. The products range from a solid pvc beadboard to a light weight vinyl product like the one I used. This product installed the same was you’d install any type of vinyl soffit. The panels lock together on one side and you nail the other side.
Vinyl Beadboard Soffit Benefits:
- Will never need scraping or painting.
- Can easily be washed with water and soap or a pressure washer.
- Won’t crack, split, decay or get eaten by insects.
- Very easy to install with limited tools and skills.
If you’re going to build a new porch or remodel an existing one I’d highly recommend you consider soffit material. Even if you’re home has wood siding throughout, I’d still recommend this product because of it’s great exterior durability properties. You’ll be very glad you chose the product and 95% of your friends and visitors won’t even know it’s vinyl!
Vinyl Beadboard Ceiling Details
Details Outside Carrying Beam
The first photo to the right shows some of the details between the porch carrying beam and the exterior edge of the fascia. For this detail you’ll see the following from left to right:
- Aluminum Gutters installed to the 3/4″ PVC fascia board.
- Vinyl J-Channel installed up tight against inside edge of PVC fascia board.
- Vented vinyl soffit material supported by the J-Channel on the left and a smaller shadow fascia board (1×3) to the right. This detail makes installation of the short vented soffit pieces much easier as the shadow board is installed after the soffit material (no J-channel on the right).
- PVC Wrapped Beam
- Vinyl Beadboard Ceiling
Porch Ceiling Details
The next two photos show how the vinyl beadboard is supported along the carrying beam and the outside face of the house. The beadboard is supported along both sides with J-channel.
Other Porch Ceiling Options
If you absolutely can’t live with the thought of vinyl soffit on your porch ceiling then you can also choose from fiber-cement beadboard and also PVC beadboard. If that doesn’t do it for you then there’s always some nice cedar or fir that you can spend years maintaining….ha ha.
Leave a comment if you think your Facebook Friends would find this article useful. Thanks in advance!