How To Buy A Table Saw
How To Buy Table Saws
If you don’t own a table saw then go out and buy a table saw! I can’t think of one tool in my workshop that is more important than the table saw. Having said that it’s important to buy a table saw that has all the features you need and plenty of power.
Table Saw Power
One of the most important features in any table saw is how much power it has. A under-powered table saw is dangerous and hard to use. Depending on the type of table saw you’re buying it’s best to compare the power of each model you’re considering. Some will argue that most table saws come with plenty of power but that’s not been my experience.
Table Saw Precision
Be sure you buy a table saw with a great fence and plenty of easy to use blade adjustments. It’s a really good idea to read some product reviews on the fence system before you make your final decision. Your table saw is only as good as the precision cutting you’ll do with it. You’ll also want to be sure the table saw comes with a good miter gage for cross-cutting.
Table Saw Types
Basically you can buy 3 types of table saws: job site table saw, contractor table saw or a cabinet table saw. They all go up in price and each has it’s purpose. The job site table saw is portable and works well for moving from job to job. The contractor table saw is the most popular for handymen and carpenters. The cabinet saw is the serious cabinet maker saw that every hobbiest craves.
Recommended Table Saws
Recommended Job Site Table Saw
I recommend the Bosch 4100-09 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Stand. This is an amazing table saw that my crews use and I highly recommend it. The stand makes this table saw very portable and the table saw is packed with great features:
- Squarelock rip fence engineered for maximum trueness
- Includes the new enhanced award-winning gravity rise stand by Bosch
- Durable Sub-Base increases tool life by handling job-site abuse
- Integrated carry handles increase portability
- Single point bevel movement for consistent accuracy; 1-year warranty
Recommended Contractor Table Saw
The Jet 708480K JPS-30: 10″ ProShop Tablesaw 1-3/4HP 30″ Rip Fence with Steel Wings is a contractor style saw with cabinet saw features for an amazing price (you can buy it at Amazon for $900). The Jet 708480K JPS-30 features:
- EXCLUSIVE 30″ ProShop fence system with T-square design and extruded aluminum sideboards
- Integrated arbor lock allows for quick, safe and easy blade changes
- Enclosed cabinet with EXCLUSIVE leg stand design for easy assembly
- Heavy-duty cast iron table with T-style m slot provides large flat work surface and increased cross cut capacity
- Powerful 1-3/4 HP TEFC Motor
Recommended Cabinet Table Saw
If you’re looking for an amazing cabinet saw then check out the Powermatic 1660760K Model 66 10-Inch Left Tilt 3 Horsepower Cabinet Saw with 50-Inch Accu-Fence and 2 Cast Iron Extension Wings. Powermatic has been one of the industry leading cabinet saws for years and this beauty is no exception. The Powermatic features:
- Heavy cast-iron trunnion reduce vibration and ensure smoother cuts
- High-efficiency 3VX drive-belt system delivers torque more efficiently and generates less heat
- Left-tilting blade prevents binding during bevel cutting, reducing the risk of kickback
- Award-winning Accu-Fence system creates an easy-gliding, precision fence
- Includes $292 worth of free options: dado-insert, motor cover, extension table, and legs
So if you don’t own a table saw yet please do yourself a favor and buy a table saw. You won’t regret the investment and it will be the cornerstone of your workshop.
Leave a comment