DEWALT® Worksite Charger / Radio (DC012)
DEWALT recently sent us their all new Worksite Charger / Radio Model DC012 to test and review. If you spend anytime on a worksite like I do you know that radios are standard equipment for every contractor from carpenters to plumbers and electricians. Worksite radios seem to be a mandatory tool for everyone so we were excited to check out DEWALT’S latest offering.
- Multi-chemistry charger will charge both NiCd and Li-Ion battery packs.
- Charges any DEWALT 7.2 to 18-volt Ni-Cd or Li-Ion battery (excluding Univolt®).
- 4” HD weather resistant speakers, bass ports and a bass boost.
- Digital tuning feature offers end users better reception, and pre-set memory buttons allow users to program their favorite stations for quick access.
- Three AC outlets and an auxiliary input and iPod nest offer maximum versatility.
- Heavy-duty roll cage protects the unit from damage related to jobsite abuse.
Right out of the box the radio feels light and well built. I was very happy to see the heavy duty electrical cord. That’s a good thing because worksite radios get some serious abuse! The role cage seems adequate to prevent most damage from sitting in water to have materials dropped against it.
Batteries simply plug into the back of the radio (as shown in the adjacent photo). While the battery is charging a large red light flashes on the front so it’s easy to know if the battery is still charging.
In addition to charging batteries the radio can actually run off a battery pack if you’re at a location without power.
I was really impressed with the sound quality and deep sounding bass. It’s not like sound quality is a huge deal but having a really good sounding radio can sure help pass the day even better. The worksite radio also has an auxiliary input that allows an IPod to be connected for some extra versatility.
The radio reception was good and the digital tuner was a nice feature. The radio comes with a soft antenna to help prevent damage on the jobsite. The antenna did a good job picking up a large selection of stations in our area which my previous radio struggled with.
The DEWALT DC012 Worksite Charger / Radio is perfect for any contractor or handyman that wants great music and a convenient way to charge their DEWALT battery packs. The DC012 delivers good quality sound from a sturdy, well built radio. If you want a good radio with the ability to charge your battery packs then this one is great. It retails for around $170 and should be available at most hardware stores and even online at the following links: