Dremel 8200 – 12V Cordless Rotary Tool
The folks at Dremel sent us the 12V Cordless 8200 Rotary Tool to review. We’ve tested two other Dremel models (Dremel 4000 and Dremel 8000) for other reviews so we were eager to see how the 8200 stacks up.
Dremel 8200 Features & Specifications
- Battery Lithium-Ion Battery
- Charge Time 1 hour
- Speed Variable, 5,000 – 30,000 RPM
- Voltage 12V Max DC
- Weight (lbs.) 22 oz / 0.62 kg
- Variable speed from 5,000 to 30,000 rpm provides maximum control and precision
- Separate on/off switch and speed control retains speed setting for the perfect speed every time
- Quick collet lock for fast accessory changes
- Cool-running ball bearing construction for smooth and quiet operation
- Comfort grip housing for easier handling and better tool control
- Compact and lightweight for easier handling and less fatigue
- Battery fuel gauge lets you know when it’s time to recharge
- High-capacity 12V MAX Lithium-ion battery for longer run times
- Always Ready–Lithium-ion battery holds a charge 6 times longer than standard NiCad batteries.
- Two-year warranty
Dremel 8200 Review
The Dremel 8200 is the strongest cordless rotary tool available with an impressive 12V lithium-ion battery system. This stronger cordless version provides a much closer match to the Dremel 4000 (corded version). The 8200 is powerful enough to for DIY’ers and contractors alike.
The Dremel 8200 comes in a nice storage case with a cutting guide, one-hour charger, one 12V Lithium-Ion Battery and 28 accessories for cutting, grinding, polishing and sanding.
We tested the 8200 on some basic tasks like cutting off nails, grinding rough metal edges and cutting holes in drywall. The 8200 is much more powerful than the 8000 that we’ve tested previously and it was especially noticeable when cutting through nails and drywall.
Just like the Dremel 4000 we really like the variable speed control and the quick collet lock. The battery held it’s charge throughout the day as we used it on numerous tasks. Our only wish is for the 8200 kits to all come with at least two batteries to prevent down time. Of course the battery will charge in under an hour so it’s not a huge deal.
One of the best features of this tool and most Dremel tools is the ability to use accessories from any of their tools with this tool. Most all accessories are forward and backward compatible which is a great feature. We own several Dremel tools and it’s nice to use all of the accessories.
The Dremel 8200 is the best cordless rotary tool we’ve ever tested. This is one powerful cordless rotary tool that will work great for hobbyist, carpenters, DIY’ers and repairmen. If you’re in the market for a cordless rotary tool look no further than the Dremel 8200. The basic 8200-1/28 Kit (the one we tested) is available for about $100.