Last year I bought a John Deere X300 lawn mower with the mulching deck. Seeing that spring is just around the corner (late start here in snow country) I want to get the mower ready for the upcoming summer season.
The following maintenance items are suggested annually:
1. Lubricate front axle pivot, axle spindles, mower spindles, pivot points, and lift pedal.
2. Change engine oil and filter.
3. Replace spark plugs.
4. Replace air filter element (foam and paper).
5. Replace fuel filter.
6. Clean engine cooling fins.
7. Check mower belt.
8. Sharpen / replace blades.
9. Clean bottom side of mowing deck.
10. Check tire pressure.
John Deere sells a convenient home maintenance kit that includes oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, air pre-cleaner and spark plugs. I decided to buy the John Deere kit so that I’d have all the correct parts. Maybe next time I’ll buy them separately once I know what I’m doing. Tonight I already took care of item 10 when I found the lawn mower had a flat tire.