Kreg Precision Trak & Stop System
I’ve almost completed my new built-in miter saw station which includes an adjustable fence system on both the left and right sides of the saw. I built the fence system out of some aluminum angle, 1×3 pine fence and the Kreg Precision Trak & Stop System.
One of the more important tasks at the miter saw is being able to efficiently cut several pieces the same exact length. This comes in very handy when building furniture, cabinets and much more. That’s where Kreg’s Precision Trak & Stop System comes into play. The system allows you to quickly and accurately set saw stops for your material.
The folks at Kreg Tools were kind enough to send us this kit so we could outfit the new shop. Below are my thoughts on it and how we used it to set up the shop.
My Miter Saw Fence Setup
In my new shop I’ve set up a pretty nice miter saw bench. The bench has 66″ to either side of the saw blade allowing me to rest 8′ stock lengths on the bench without them falling off. The bench on either side of the saw is also an all purpose bench so I needed an adjustable fence that I could easily remove.
I’ve created a custom fence for each side of the bench. The fence is very simple to build and uses 1/8″ thick aluminum 2×2 angle, a 1×3 (cut down to 2-1/4″ tall) fence, and the Kreg Precision Trak & Stop System. The fences are then secured to the bench top using Rockler Universal T-Track. These fences are really light, easy to adjust and easy to store!
The Kreg Precision Trak & Stop System is made of really good quality materials and it works great. This system will definitely take your miter saw bench to the next level! Below are my thoughts on this really useful shop accessory.
- The top rails which mount to your fence are made of really nice aluminum that have a nice blue factory finish.
- Both of the stops are also made from good quality aluminum. Both stops slide very well over the rails and provide extremely accurate repetitive cuts.
- The assembly directions are very easy to follow.
- The adhesive measuring tape is a good quality metal tape that should last a very long time.
- You do have to drill your own holes through the track for securing it to the fence with supplied wood screws. I would prefer having the holes pre-drilled like many of the T-Tracks available on the market.
- The set screws for the measurement guides are plastic. While the screws don’t really get much use or loading I fear they may strip over time as I adjust them.
I’m extremely happy with the Kreg Precision Trak & Stop System. Built from high quality materials it offers wood workers or any shop worker a precise way of quickly and efficiently cutting materials to the same length over and over again. I also find it very useful for single cuts as it eliminates the need for a tape measure if accurately calibrated.
If you’re looking to build a similar system in your shop I highly recommend this system. Priced around $130 depending on where you buy it I think it’s a great value. If you’d like to buy it we’ve included the following link over at Amazon: