The Home Depot Foundation and Habitat for Humanity
The Home Depot Foundation and Habitat for Humanity today announced the national expansion of Partners in Sustainable Building, a $30 million building program dedicated to greening more than 5,000 Habitat homes across the country.
In celebration of the program, The Home Depot Foundation and Habitat for Humanity are sharing some quick tips that everyone can use to green their homes and decrease the cost of living. Below are five simple, inexpensive tips courtesy of The Home Depot Foundation and Habitat.
Sustainable Building Quick Tips
- Save 10 percent or more on your energy costs by plugging tiny air leaks. Caulk and weather-strip all seams, cracks and openings to keep hot air outside.
- Clean or replace air filters. Dirty air filters cause the AC unit to work harder than necessary, increasing your energy use and bills.
- Install a programmable thermostat to save up to $180 a year in energy costs.
- Choose ENERGY STAR appliances which use 10-50 percent less energy and water than standard models.
- Install low-flow bathroom fixtures and save thousands of gallons of water a year.
Habitat For Humanity Before & After Contest
I also wanted to take the time to mention the Before & After Contest over at One Project Closer that supports Habitat for Humanity. The Before & After contest lets you show off all your DIY projects while helping support Habitat for Humanity and a chance to win some great prizes. So why not head over to The Home Depot and pick up materials for a DIY project and enter it in the Before & After Contest. You’ll be getting a project off your Summer list and supporting a great cause.