Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
As I keep pointing out winter is quickly approaching and that means heating systems are being turned on and used. Heating systems create carbon monoxide (CO) whenever they burn gas, oil, kerosene and even wood. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills over 400 people annually so it’s certainly a hazard worth talking about.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless which means you can see it or smell it. They call carbon monoxide the silent killer for a very good reason. High levels of carbon monoxide can kill a person in just a few minutes.
Knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is crucial to getting proper medical help. High levels of carbon monoxide can have the following symptoms: severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. If you feel any of these symptoms you should get outside in fresh air and call for help.
Unfortunately most people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning don’t even know what has happened to them. Typically victims are asleep and unaware of the symptoms and die before they can seek fresh air and medical help.
That’s why installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home is so important. Today’s new homes are typically pre-wired for carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to meet state and local fire codes. However, millions of older homes around the Country have no such luxury. That’s why I think it’s so important to tell you about plug-in carbon monoxide detectors.
We used plug-in carbon monoxide detectors in our first home and several apartments we rented. You can buy the Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display from Amazon for just over $40. This particular CO monitor comes with a battery back-up for added protection during power outages. If you don’t have a CO detector in your home please go out and buy one before the heating season is on full swing.
Leave a comment