Ridge Vents

By Todd Fratzel on Roofing

Recently I wrote about ice dams and the need for good ventilation. Since writing about that topic I received several questions about what types of ridge vent I prefer. I definitely prefer the rigid type ridge vents. ShingleVent®II is one such type that works very well. It maintains it’s shape after nailing on the cap shingles. Many of the roll type ridge vents (Cobra Vent for instance) are very difficult to nail down and maintain the proper air flow. Basically you want a ridge vent that will provide the most amount of air flow and keep out bugs, birds and the weather. Many ridge vent manufacturers have good web sites with information about selecting the proper size ridge vent to get the correct amount of ventilation.

About the author

Todd Fratzel

I'm full time builder for a large construction company in New Hampshire. I run their design-build division that specializes in custom homes, commercial design-build projects and sub-divisions. I'm also a licensed civil and structural engineer with extensive experience in civil and structural design and home construction. My hope is that I can share my experience in the home construction, home improvement and home renovation profession with other builders and home owners. I'm also the Editor-in-Chief and Founder of Tool Box Buzz. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions or you'd like to inquire about advertising on this site.

All posts by Todd »

Not what you're looking for?

Search for more articles here. Enter keywords like, 'insulation' or 'kitchens' etc to find your topic.

No Comments

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Copyright © 2009-2023 Front Steps Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Home Construction & Improvement™ is a Trademark of Front Steps Media, LLC.